Success

Today was a day like many others....
We woke up in Denver....
The five of us in the same room......
The city sounds bustling outside of the Brent's Place window....

I snoozed the alarm a couple times....
cursing Murphy's law and how it holds our children snugly tucked into their beds when we have places to be.....and wakes them when the morning is free from schedule....

We armed ourselves with a little breakfast and a whole lot of coffee and headed to the hospital...
We passed through the sliding glass doors....the same doors that have opened for us for over 7 years....the thresh hold that reveals another world....a world that is far from foreign to us...
There is little that is quite as classy as exam room selfies.....we. are. dorks.

Appointments...
Check ups.
Doctors,
nurses,
staff...
friends.

They surround us when we walk into clinic....
Each turn of a corner reveals another smile....
these people that I have known for longer than many friends back home...
the comments....
"I barely recognized Parklen."
"Had you not been with him Amanda, I would have never known who he was!"

I could stand and listen to past and present medical teams talk about Parklen for hours...I really could.  I hang on every word....the past, the present,...hopes for the future....
Its my language....


Paysen and Phinlynn disappeared today while Parklen was getting checked out by his doctor....
I never, for a moment, worried about where they were....I already knew...
Before long, Paysen busted open the door to the exam room with excitement....
He thrust a trophy up in the air and exclaimed, "Look what I got!!"
On the front of the trophy,  a bright neon post it attached to the front with scotch tape...
it read, "Best donor ever."  He showed everyone that trophy....
Sitting in the back seat of the Honda after leaving the hospital, he quietly polished it with his blanket.....
Phinlynn followed not long after with a smile.....

The clinic is packed full of people I love...people that love Parklen....
I honestly wish I could take these people home with me....
They know so much about our struggles....our fight for Parklen's life.....

Today, while talking with one of my favorite humans, who has worked with Parklen since he was very young...she said to me, "It was two years ago when Parklen almost died for the last time....can you believe he made it? That was hard."
My mind shot back to that time and the degree of hard it was....my chest tightens when I reflect upon those days.....and yeah....it was hard.
 I mean really really hard....

The overall consensus of the day was, "Parklen looks great."
It will be a few days to weeks before we hear back on his test results.....Then we will find out how well he received Paysen's gift this summer....The results will decide when he goes to school....what the next step will be....

You have got to love cell phone pics!  Today as I packed a bag I thought, I probably won't need my camera today.....

Phin has a rocking spidy hand!



As we left the hospital we walked by the radio station to see a group of super heroes standing on the other side of the glass....the beckoned us inside.
The kids met each one...including the officers in uniform....
They talked about each of the heroes...
Which was their favorite....
My eyes filled with tears when Parklen told the group of costumed men why Paysen was a hero... "He gave me his bone marrow..."
Paysen stood in front of us all as they clapped and cheered....
A SWAT member walked up and handed Paysen a challenge coin...."This is because you are an awesome hero..."
I love moments like that.
LOVE them.
My momma heart swells and I nearly explode with the pride I feel for the children that God has gifted me with....

 Tonight I am choosing to put the worries I have on the back burner....
I am choosing to bring the wonderful things that are happening right now to the front of my mind...
 Like Parklen eating in a restaurant with his family.....

Like sitting and watching Devan entertain all three kids with facts about fish in Bass Pro shop....
Like the amount of energy that Parklen has....
The dinner we spent together..
The little moments....
the little moments filled with the big feelings....

One woman today said it best..... "Parklen is a success story...."
Yes he is....
He is.
A success story....
of faith,
family,
fighting....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{zero}

26 days.............

Whats mine...